Sunday, February 12, 2012

My Big Girl

Bragger moment:  Lina came home Friday with the honor of Student of the Week for the word: CARING.  I am so proud of her.  She has a gentle spirit and really is caring....probably more so at school some days than with her sisters, but I am proud of her!

It has always taken Lina a long time to wind down at night and fall asleep.  She was a self-soothing rocker for quite some time.  Then she would read....for over an hour and still have a hard time.  Well in December it got a lot harder.  She just can't "shut down" at night.  Lina worries about the stupid FCAT that is NEXT month- "do you know if I don't pass I stay in 3rd grade".  She is not in the door but :20 before the word FCAT is spoken.  I hate it.  I hate it for her.  I hate it for her classmates.  I hate it for the teachers.  It's so dumb.  Lina hasn't had science or social studies for a month now.  The focus is on reading and math.  Annoying.  My one real complaint about Florida's public education system- is FCAT.

When Lina went to doctor last week Bob asked about melatonin.  My wise friend, Kelly, swears by it.  Well..  I am here to say- we love the magic 1.5mg pill that Lina takes at 7:30....and is asleep :30 later.  She is much more pleasant now.  I am so thankful.

BUT Lina still has a lot on her mind.  We pray and talk a lot about what is going on now.  I don't make it an issue, but if she says something or asks.....I go with it.  We were just working on homework.  She had the choice to change something historical or personal.  My anxious mommy heart was thinking she would say "being adopted"......but she broke my mommy heart when she said, "I would change you having lymphoma".  Oh baby girl....I would change that too.  So we talked about it and while I do agree with her I slapped on a "happy face" and was a little more positive speaking when we talked about the strtucture of these paragraphs and reassured her that yes, this stinks but God is hearing our prayers and giving me the strength to fight!!  And we talked about the good that is coming from all this also....which is just like God to show off that way.  There is a  lot of good.  We are blessed....even though this does stink ; )

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, sweet Lina...wish I could hug you both.

As for FCAT...one of the few things I HATED about FL as well for sure!

Jenn said...

Yes, the FCAT alone makes me realllllllly consider homeschool again. I always consider it about this time of year, but it just doesn't seem right for us. I am not seeing those great support group/co-ops. Maybe I am not looking deep enough. Something to pray about!