Saturday, February 13, 2010

Valentine's Sweetness

I love Valentine's Day for kids.  It's so sweet and innocent....and FUN!!  Lydia cut her heart Valentine's out last week.  Lina made hers on the computer.  I helped a little with some wording options.  She chose:
LOVE is patient and kind.
A FRIEND loves at all times.
Thanks for being a friend.

Taped a lollipop on and she wrote her name.  Sweet.  Innocent.

Lina's teacher invited moms and dads to come read a Valentine story to the class.  Haven't read to a class in a long time!  I signed up and searched for a good Valentine book.  We found Amelia Bedelia's First Valentine.  The author of this is the nephew of the author of the AB as a grown up.  This was AB as a young girl....yet still very literal.  It was a sweet story.  The moms got the humor more than the kids.  : )

The kids then enjoyed some sweet treats and delivered their Valentine's.  Nope.  No pictures.  It was pouring, Bob came home for lunch so that I could go, and I ran out the door.  What a gross weather day it was yesterday.

We were just about ready to pack up and leave when the exceptional ed PK teacher came in looking for Lina.  (A little background- Lina's school is a magnet program for exceptional ed.  The school does a great job of inclusion/mainstreaming.  At Thanksgiving time Lina's reading group buddied up with this class to do a play together.  The bigger kids just holding their buddies' hands, keeping them quiet and helping with their line.  Lina took GREAT pride in her new friend, Mark.  They are still good friends.  Lina plays with Mark on the playground twice a week.  In December Brookshire had a book night at Barnes and Noble.  Mark was there and the two of them hugged and walked around the children's section....Lina reading to Mark.  It is a very sweet little friendship).  Ok, that's the background.  Mrs. T comes is in with a Valentine for Lina from Mark!

It is the sweetest note from Mark's MOM to me and a note to Lina thanking her for being a good friend to Mark.  It is precious.  It made me cry in the classroom when I read it.  Something I will save.  Lina was so proud of getting this Valentine.  Her little buddies next to her both commented on what a good friend Mark is.

Now truth be told this little "relationship" Lina has with Mark "worries" me a little.  I shared my concern with Lina's teacher and asked if Lina misses out playing with 1st graders when these little guys are out..  She assured me that Lina always has a first grade buddy with her when she goes to build in the sand box (which grosses me out) or ride on bikes with Mark.

Lina loves her buddy Mark.  She accepts her little buddy for his very loud ways, his learning differently than her.  He is just her friend.  All 4 years old of himself  : )  It doesn't matter.  Maybe I should just learn something from my girl and not worry so much.

YET will scream and yell at her 3 year old sister each and every day?  Hmmm???

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kids are funny that way ;) I have a friend with 7 and 5 year old girls. Yet, when we get together, it is like they switch siblings. My big plays with her little, and her big plays with my twinkie littles. Go go figure! Of course, the bigs also gang up on the littles from time to time ;)