Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Fat Tuesday and Ash Wednesday

Nothing like pancakes for dinner.  Bob was thrilled.  NOT.  But he embraced and joined in the fun.  We had pancakes, purple and green sprinkles, blueberries, and pixie dust for Lyd.  Explaining to the girls why we are having pancakes and talking about Lent....Lina asks, "what are you giving up for Lent?"  NOW I said nothing about us giving up anything just that was behind the whole "chowing on pancakes" and such.  So.  What do you do with that?  I quickly thought of something- sweet tea and Chick Fil A.  Which will be HUGE for me.  HUGE.  Although I have now turned onto a chicken strips SALAD at our 3x a week CFA run....that shouldn't count, right??  We'll see.  The sweet tea though- that will be a sacrifice. 

I turned the cards on Lina and asked what would she think about giving up.  She decided on chocolate milk....which she gets at lunch 3x a week.  We'll see if she can do it.

I don't usually give something up.  Not sure why.  Just wasn't emphasized growing up and I think that's more of a "Catholic thing", no?  Regardless, I could use a little reminder of sacrifice....as trivial as sweet tea is compared to the sacrifice Christ made for ME....for you.

We went to church tonight at 7.  BAAAAAD idea, but we pushed through.  Fabulous Lenten meal prepared at church though- Lyd ate sketti with SAUCE and Lila chowed on my chicken.  Lina picked a little of everything.  Service was ending and the imposition of ashes....I had explained to Lina before about it and said if she didn't want ashes that was ok.  Well, Lydia decided she wanted ashes as long as it "doesn't mess up her pony tail".    We got home and Lydia scrubbed her ashes off immediately.  ; )  Lina wants to "wear hers to school tomorrow".  My little witness.

Some pictures from pancake night:



Lila was NOT thrilled with crown and posing.  She chowed on pancakes and blueberries though!

Sweet pouty baby.

No comments: