Friday, January 13, 2012

DING DING DING! Round 2 Goes to the Balding Blonde!

....not without tears and some swearing!  THIS was not easy.

All is fine.  I was just really emotional this go.  There are many reasons to add to the emotions.  #1 is the overwhelming support I/we have.  It truly is SUCH a BLESSING and my dear friends and family are carrying me through this more than they will ever know.  #2 my second day was a very busy day in the treatment room.  I had too many different nurses and there were just grumpy people in there.  I NEED positive.  #3 I was anticipating this bone marrow biopsy with a tad bit of fear.

Gretchen Kuck came with me on day 2.  It was so nice to catch up with her the Kuck family doings. They are anticipating the arrival of grandson #3 in April.  So fun!  I have known Gretchen for about 25 years.  : )

Bob came today.  After Thursday's hectic-ness and nurse sticking herself with my needle AFTER she removed it from my port and anticipating the biopsy I was a bundle of tears.  I woke up looking awful.  My eyes were slits from crying and my cheeks puffy from steroids.  OY!  I and my faithful prayer warriors prayed for peace and a good nurse.  LOUD AND CLEAR I had a very dear nurse who read my anxious heart immediately.  She snagged my doctor and he read my mind also....and ordered extra ativan.  I love ativan.

Biopsy.  One thing with ativan....my mouth runs.  Sometimes I am funny. Sometimes I am angry.  Sometimes I am bossy.  I was all of the above.  Dr. Zakari and I are getting to know one another.  I told him what I expected him to do....and he told me what he was going to do....and we found a happy medium.  I mean, he does have the medical degree and was about to stick a needle in my HIP and do some work.  He numbed me up and asked for more.  We talked about Brooklyn- he interned there.  We talked about music- 80's.  Then I told him to bring it back to me.  : )  IT's all about me right now.  He agreed.  Not gonna lie- not super comfortable, but it didn't hurt.  I may hurt here shortly.  It was down right GROSS what he was doing- in fact one med student had to step out- SKIRT!  : )  And after I was patched up....I got to see the piece of my bone and marrow slides.  Interesting- if you are into that kind of stuff.  EEEEWWW.

I came home to a yummy chocolate cake waiting....delievered from Jen and Brendan and I am about to enjoy that.  I came home to yellow hair taped to my mirror....so I have golden locks when I first wake up.  Texts, cards, gifts....hats- I have hats galore coming my way.  I am so overwhelming blessed with friends and family and their support.  I am still more emotional today than I have been, but as a friend said...this is a battle.  Battles are not EASY.  There is blood, sweat, and tears.

I will need to do a PET scan after round 3, but doc pretty much said we are looking at 6 rounds of chemo.  So I am 1/3 done with this!  Next round is 2/1, 2/2/ and 2/3.

But this round...DONE.  And with HIS GRACE AND MERCY....I won!!

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Love the hair taped to your mirror and I LOVE how you are advocating for yourself - even if you are loopy when you are doing it. It is a war...fighting it one battle, maybe even one skirmish at a time. You are going to be victorious. Oh what a day that'll be. April 5th is my Mom's day. I can't wait to put yours, your moms and Carmen's days on my calendar as well. Strong women! Praying you have a peaceful nights sleep and you wake up with clear, unpuffy eyes!

Kim said...

I think you are my new hero.... Your ability to be so positive through this amazes me.

Anonymous said...

Oh my special friend...I kinda wish I was a fly on the way for those conversations. Your quirky sense of humor probably made the doctor's day, bossy and all.

Qtipper said...

Ding FREAKIN' Ding, BABY! You made it through today. Yes, ma'am. You made it. Carmen's makin' it, Mama's making and Jenn's makin' it. And when it's done, we are gonna point straight to Jehovah Rapha and we are gonna PRAISE. (And we may even lift our hands a little bit while we are doing it!)

At this very moment, you are being LOVED~
Q

Anonymous said...

My favorite nosy Doctor actually asked me when your next scan was. Funny that you mentioned it. That man is driving me nuts! I am tempted to send his butt to FL just to get him of my case about your case ;-)

Debbie Hall said...

Love you.