Sunday, March 7, 2010

Today Was a Good Good Day

We were waiting for this perfect spring day for about a week.  It happened and it was beautiful.  Now I know we don't get snow and it's not cold as long as some of my Northern folk, but it's been so cold here.  AND IN MARCH!!!

Today was perfect and I wanted to be outside doing something.  We haven't been to SeaWorld in awhile so Bob stayed home with Lila to do some stuff with yard and let her nap and myself and bigs headed to SeaWorld.  We left for the park after lunch and Lina making a card for the SeaWorld Trainers.

Dear SeaWorld Trainers,

I love your shows.  I love the tricks the whales do.  I am sorry that your friend died.

Love,
Lina Blackwood

and she drew a whale tail and wrote BELIVE (Believe is the name of the show)

We hit the dolphin show first.  ALWAYS a favorite.  It just doesn't get old.  Checked out the sting rays, stared at the dolphins for awhile, I caved and let Lina do the Shamu's Happy Harbor (NEVER EVER again- it's this HUGE net climbing thing with tunnels and slides.  Basically you let your child go up and just pray you see them again.  I had my eye on Lina the whole time and then she darted somewhere up there and I could not see her.  I don't like that.  I found her though and down she came.  She had fun and was so proud of herself for doing the climbing.  Yea.  So I let her go up again.  DUMB.  She quickly did the same route though and was back down with hand on the stroller!  Sheeesh!), Polar Bears, had a light dinner, and then sat for 25 minutes for the Shamu show- Believe.

I felt kind of somber heading over to Shamu stadium and going to the underwater viewing.  It was there that the horrible accident of Tilly the Whale and Trainer Dawn took place.

We took our seats and got to enjoy watching the trainers work with the whales.  6 trainers to 6 whales.  Total man to man training and not a trainer in the water/tank.  I am sure they are just trying to figure out if they do get in the tanks again with these predators.  It was absolutely A-MAZING to watch.  The trainer would sign or dance or jump or turn around....and the whales did just what they were to do.  THAT amazes me.  I had tears just watching that.

Then they started the show with a moment of silence for Dawn and these pictures.  Didn't she just LOVE her job and these whales??


So now I am blubbering.  Lina turns to me- "it's ok mom. She loved what she did.  There is still a show".  Ok.  So she had some compassion.

The show was fabulous.  Still the Believe theme and bits and pieces of the video they show, but the tricks were a little different.  You have to wonder if these whales are thinking' "what gives?  Get in here with us!!"  They just followed the trainers around the tank and did their jumps and splashes, shakes and nods.  Fascinating.  All of it.

Lina gave her card to the guard at the bottom of the stairs.  He brought it over to the trainer room.  We took a picture

and I saw a trainer girl pointing to us like in saying "wait a minute" and she ran over to Lina.  I at this point have tears flowing.  She thanks Lina for the card and for caring and watching the show....and hugs her.  I missed the moment on film, but Lina will never forget that as she literally floated out of the park and is dreaming of that moment right now.



It was a great day.  And we got to see our Amy also.  No pics of that either.  WHAT is wrong with me??

Fish face


Me and my big girls.  We had a GREAT day!

Sometimes- they can just be such good friends.  Today was one of those days and I am most thankful for that!


Lydia.  Gotta have a Lydia moment.  Lydia is wearing jean shorts.  She has NEVER worn jean shorts because they are "too scratchy" or "too big" or "boys were jeans".  Well.  I think Lyd is turning a corner on clothing. I brought down Lina's old size 4 Rubbermaid bins.  Spring/Summer, Fall/Winter.  We had a fashion show and pulled out all the good fitting stuff.  Lyd is set and she kept saying "thank you for all these beautiful big girl clothes".  Think she will feel that way about hand me downs (or previously worn by) in the future???

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Jenn, Lina is such a precious girl. Your story with her note touched my heart. Sweet, sweet story.

Frame the picture of you and the girls. It's beautiful! And yea that you finally put a new picture of you on your blog!:)