Wednesday, August 27, 2008

This Side of the Desk

I have not been a full-time classroom teacher since the 2004-2005 school year (nor do I miss it a lick). Since then I have become a Mommy to 3 little girls (duh).

That little girl that filled my empty arms has "left the nest" (for a few hours a day anyway) and it's hard. Really hard.

Lina's first week of school included 2 days off and a day that they should have had off. It was just a weird week. Lina had to buy milk, eat lunch in a cafeteria, meet new people, make new friends, be in a new environment, and use a potty that has a light/fan combo that is not good for her AT ALL.

Lina is a smart little girl. Not the most mature, mind you, but smart. She can be a little "out there" as well.

Monday Lina was a little sad about leaving me and I admit I cried more this Monday than that first day of school. I couldn't walk her to her classroom. I watched from the end of the hall. It felt like I threw her in the deep end and prayed she made it to the side (of course Lina is a great swimmer and would totally make it to the side, but that analogy is good, no?)

Lina wet her pants that day. She hasn't wet her pants in 2 years!

Well, that sent me into defense mode. I emailed Lina's teacher without really stepping back, thinking, looking at the big picture. It was all "Momma Cub".

Tuesday Lina was sad again, but she had a good day.....and used the potty!

Wednesday is early day. She came out all smiles and in the same clothes she left in! Yippppee! We went to celebrate and play at Chick Fil A for awhile (ok maybe we went more for me because I am toooooo stinkin' hot to play outside).

School is interesting. Public school is interesting. This is the first time in my life that I am in this system. It's different than where I came from. At TLS there is very much "catering to one's needs". While the resources, curriculum, activities, staff, teacher, programs are incredible....that "catering" (and that's not really the word I want) isn't here. It's only been 6 days though. Last night I prayed for peace. And you know....today I have it.

Lina and I are just going to take one day at a time and figure out this whole school thing.

Parenting is not easy. I learned a lot these past few days and there is a whole lot more to learn!

No comments: