Friday, August 10, 2012

All Clear!

I have had 4 PET scans since December.  I know the routine and really they aren't terrible.  The worst part is getting a blood draw and IV started for the dye.  Being in "the tube" for :20 isn't a big deal.  It's all the thinking of "what ifs" and the dreaded waiting 24-48 hours to have that appointment with my oncologist that I can't bear.  I thought I was going to throw up all day today.

Today I met with my oncologist to discuss my PET from 2 days ago.  I go in spurts- confident in HIS HEALING HAND or completely can't get a grip on my emotions or FEAR of what if.  This week was fear.    Dr. Z walked in the room and I thought I would throw up.  My heart rate was 110 and he knew I was a wreck.  "Your PET scan is clear as usual" and I lost it.  Great conversation followed though- I HATE being at that clinic.  I hate being in that office.  Seeing this very kind and good dr makes me ILL.  I told him that it was 8 months ago today that we met.  He then said, "it's going to be 4 years and 4 months till this relationship is over"....till the word "CURED" is said.  He was very encouraging saying that I have been in remission for 7 months and he doesn't expect anything different, but none of this is 100%.  And the reasonable side of me KNOWS that and BELIEVES that, but the mommy who doesn't want her girls to go through this crap again EVER......  Dr.  Z also told me to get the first PET scan of the day and email him the day I get it....he will then email me THAT DAY with the results.  And make appointments on Fridays- there was hardly anyone in the clinic.

I have an appointment in November and will do another PET scan.  Sigh.  Then it will be one in 6 months. And from there I didn't want to know anymore.  I hate cancer.  And really.  I KNOW that I had a "pretty easy" course of action and for that I AM SO THANKFUL FOR!!

I have been feeling so great these days.  AdvoCare. Ever hear of it??  CHECK IT OUT.  I was introduced a year ago and started using a few products.  Then a "curveball" came my way and I didn't continue what I was using other than 1 product all through chemo.  Well, I have been eating so much better, exercising faithfully, and adding these supplements to my day.  If you are looking for something to help strengthen yourself- ask me about this My AdvoCare page   And a plug for the "My Fitness Pal" app for iphone.  CHECK THAT OUT!  Keeps me so accountable and I have some cheerleaders and support there.  I am confident that the 12 lbs that I have lost in July will only continue to melt away.

Being able to "run" 5 miles 3x a week has been HUGE.  Next week I will start my training with LLS Team in Training.  There is a dinner on Wednesday where I have the honor of being an "Honored Hero" for the season.  My friend Debbie has been walking with me at dark o'clock in the morning 3 x a week.  If you don't have an organization that you support, may I recommend LLS through my Team in Training page???  I will participate in the Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon November 10.

Next step?  My useless port comes out on Monday morning.  I have to be at FL Hospital at 5:30 in the AM.  My procedure is at 7:30.  That's it.  Last bit of "this".



 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad it was clear. Waiting makes me sick too. I probably glow from all of those images.